Saturday, June 30, 2012
Report: Mercedes-Benz SLC put on indefinite hold
Well this is all kinds of surprising: a brief report in German magazine Auto Motor und Sport, citing unnamed Mercedes-Benz sources, says the SLC sports car has been put on indefinite hold by the company board. The baby gullwing was supposedly deemed too expensive, so it has been placed "under observation." That gives the engineers a chance to redesign the car to fulfill its required niche and profit motives, but the report says there's no way we'll see it before 2014.
Not that we figured on seeing it before 2014 anyway: the SLC, reportedly greenlit seven months ago and charged with being a Porsche 911 fighter, had been scheduled to appear around the time the SLS AMG was ending its life in 2015. It was just caught testing a couple of weeks ago, with rumors being that it would use a twin-turbo V8 and eight-speed DCT, and possibly offer a V6 as well. It would be startling to think that after the success Mercedes has had with the SLS and the sportification of its lineup that it would just completely walk way from a car with a broader appeal and more accessible price. But if and when the SLC does arrive, it looks like those gullwing doors are almost certainly toast.Permalink | Email this | Comments